The Archbishop Ryan Park is situated in Merrion Square, the Georgian square on the south side of Dublin city center, very near to Baggot Street. The park was called so after Dermot Ryan, a Catholic archbishop who transferred ownership to the city in 1974. The square was leased to the Archdiocese of Dublin in 1930 to permit the building of a Cathedral on the site. In September 2010, it was renamed as Merrion Square Park.
The park contains a statue of Oscar Wilde, many other sculptures and a collection of old Dublin lamp standards. It is a nice place for walking and also for sketching: there are many subjects that can be chosen to draw.